Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Life as a Carpenter



Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a carpenter?...yeah, me either, but when I was offered the job I quickly began to wonder!

                    This is what I pictured life as a carpenter would be like.


             And...well...I wasn't too far off..
                                                                                                                                                                     
Cutting base
Putting up a corner shelf
base cutting station





                             

This job, at first, kicked my butt. I was the only chick there. I had no prior carpentry experience. I definitely didn't feel qualified for the job. Waking up at 5am isn't really my thing. And then to get home at 530pm was a drag as well. I was bruised and banged up. I was sore. I was exhausted.

I initially quit after my second day. My boss actually begged me to come back! He said I was doing great for not having had prior skills.

I am a stubborn girl. It can be used for bad, but it can also be used for good. I dug my heels in the dirt and let my stubborn side take over. I wasn't going to be a quitter. The only way I wouldn't be a carpenter is if I were fired.

So I went back. I got teased and mocked by the guys.They didn't know what I was made of. I dished it back...and after time they grew to like me. And surprisingly, I grew to like the job! I worked hard and made sure to impress my boss. I hung cabinets, doors, casing, base and hardware. I did it all baby!

I did resign and decided it was time to move to North Carolina, but if you read my previous posts, you would know I wasn't able to make it there because of a stupid semi...but I do miss this job. Perhaps one day I will experience something like it again. Even if just as a hobby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...